I’ve just been listening to Jaime XX’s mix on the Benji B show. He’s a good DJ, who I first heard spinning tunes with my friend Gwilym. Check it out one of his mixes below:
After I listening to this, I checked out some of his own music, which didn’t quite hit me the same way. I was wandering why this was, and then I read an interview he gave yesterday:
“I just feel like a sequence of notes or chords can mean a lot more than what somebody is saying," he says. "You can attach your own meaning to notes."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/feb/26/jamie-xx-gil-scott-heron?intcmp=239
He’s clearly a man who knows his Roy Orbison from his Joy Orbison, but I was interested to see him admitting he's got no meaning in his work and that he's a musician who had never actually gone through the joyful pain of actually learning how to play an instrument. This maybe explains why watching the xx live as exciting as watching paint dry.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.